Monday 3 December 2012

Brief 2 - Foiling

I have always wanted to try foiling but never realised how simple the process was. One of my initial ideas was to have a logo foil-blocked onto the magazine cover but as I initially intended for this to be a full colour print, it wasn't feasible due to how the process works. The foil adheres to the ink on the stock and obviously having a full colour print will affect how it is placed.

I chose gold foil due to its use throughout the magazine and its connotation in signifying quality. To overcome the problem of having a full colour print, I thought it would useful to try applying it to a black dust cover. Magazines typically have glossy front pages, over-loaded with imagery and headlines but conversely, I wanted to keep mine simple. I could always treat it as a main cover as opposed to dust jackets as these are mainly used for high quality and expensive publications.

I hope to try red foil on heavy white stock as alternative idea.





No comments:

Post a Comment