Thursday 30 September 2010

Alphabet Soup - Initial stages

After the initial mind map exploring all aspects of the word 'flatten', I first started to experiment with existing type I collected and then chose two prominent ideas which I could develop further. One of these was using 3D letterform which I could 'flatten' back into its original nets over a sequence of 10 images and the other was based around the concept of 'flat-packing'.

Original 'flatten' mind map


Experimenting with type
Using letters I collected, I folded them over vertically and horizontally to give the impression the letterform was compressed. However, this idea was too literal and the outcomes looked similar to various 'tall' typefaces (one of which I collected in my research).


Idea 1 - 3D letterforms
Although this sheet does not explain much, I will upload images in future posts showing the process I took. Creating a net for a 3D letter was more complicated than I expected therefore I used a minimalist sans-serif typeface with no obscure characteristics - simply block lettering. The 10 images I could produce could show the process of opening a 3D letter and becoming a net.


Idea 2 - Flatpacks
Flatpack furniture is a form of furniture that is purchased in multiple pieces and requires assembly. As it is designed to pack flat, it reduces shipping cost and fuel in transportation. It is taking something which may seem complicated and presenting it in a much simpler and compact form. I first explored the word 'flatpack' and began designing ways of simplifying existing letterform using lines of symmetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment