Thursday 30 September 2010

Alphabet Soup - Flatpack

I found an image online (posted in my design context blog) where the designer has cut out certain parts of a letter (the serif, for example) which is then folded over revealing a colour paper underneath. This can be found here. As I didn't want to replicate this idea exactly, I decided to use a similar process relating to my own concept. 

The majority of letters in the alphabet have lines of symmetry so I took advantage of this by using this line to fold a letterform in half - this in result is 'flat-packing' the letter and presenting it in a compact form. This was inspired by this image.

Vertical: A, H, I, M, O, T, U, V, W, X, Y
Horizontal: B, C, D, E, H, I, K, O, X
Both: (Highlighted in bold)


I then began experimenting using a standard serif typeface on black card - drawing just half of the letter (for example, the top half of the letter 'E'). I cut this out using a craft knife and folded it over to form the rest of the letter. This can then be put back into place as a reference to the 'flat-pack' concept. I will now expand on this concept creating larger and more "clean-cut" examples in A6 format. I will also use different coloured card due to the simple nature of the design.

'E' and 'X' - Horizontal

'H', 'V' and 'M' - Vertical

No comments:

Post a Comment